You’ve decided to hire a professional painting contractor in Eugene, but you’re not sure what next?
Well, if it’s your first time hiring a painting contractor, the whole process can be a little intimidating.
Repainting your home
is a significant investment towards, probably one of your largest investments,
so far. Hiring a wrong painting contractor cannot only leave you frustrated but
endangered the safety of your family.
In this article, we
will quickly take you through the process of hiring a painting contractor and
an overview of what you can expect. Have a look.
How to Find a Painting
Contractor in Eugene
Painting companies are
generally active locally, and you have probably seen some of them working on
projects in your Eugene neighborhood. While most of them focus on painting,
some take on extra related tasks such as plaster repair, minor drywall repair,
cladding, and wallpapering.
You will essentially
need to pick a painter based in your specific painting needs. Don’t be tempted
to choose the first one that you come across. Some of the best sources to find
painting contractors include asking friends, relatives, and neighbors, asking
at your local paint store or searching online for local painting
Be sure to source for
at least three painters, invite them for an interview and request for a
painting estimate from each of them. It is best if you invite each of them
What Will The Painter
Most painters take on
any kind of work, from the mere painting of your window covering to a full
residential paint job. But let’s assume that you want them to paint your home
interior. You can usually expect:
- Cover all areas that are not to be painted, including floors, windows, kitchen countertops, cabinets, etc.
- Slight surface preparation; this may include light sanding and scraping off loose paint, drilling in of a few protruding nails, cleaning woodwork, cleaning with some cloth in some areas, and so on. The contractor assumes that the house is usually in paintable condition.
- Remove electrical panels, lights, doors, and other obstacles.
- Moving furniture away for better access to the areas to be painted. That is not really a painter’s job, so you have to confirm that before.
- Priming new drywall or the current paint with an interior latex primer.
- Apply two coats of latex paint on the walls.
- Two layers of ceiling paint.
- Painting of the moldings (baseboards, window coverings, etc.)
- Touchup missing spots.
- Cleanups for any spills and splashes.
How to Talk To the Painter
Unlike a conversation
with an electrician, talking to the painter is generally easy and doesn’t
involve any jargon. They keep things as clear and simple as possible.
Some topics you may want to discuss:
- Is the cost of the color included in the estimate?
- What type of color does the contractor intend to use?
- How many coats will be used?
- How does he intend to cover the non-paintable areas?
- How long does he expect the job to last?
- Is it preferable for the residents to clear the house while working?
- Will the painter clean up after painting is done?
How Much Will It Cost?
Well, a little more
than you expect. Some painting companies will have formulas that they use. This
typically including measuring total square feet of walls and ceilings, along
with linear lengths of the Trim. They also calculate the preparation time as
well as the “hard costs” for primer and paint.
Some contractors will
give you a quote based on their experience with similar jobs. While this
estimate may not be specific, it is usually a fair number. The best way to get
value for your money is by comparing multiple painting quotes and picking a
quote that meets all your needs –not necessarily the cheapest.
At Sir Paints A Lot, we offer affordable, reliable, high-quality, and durable residential painting services such as trim painting, wall and ceiling painting, door and frame painting, and cabinet refinishing that will stand the test of time. If you haven’t identified a residential painting contractor in Eugene yet, we would love to be your favorite painter. To give a try, call us on 541-600-2025 or book now for a FREE painting estimate.