When it comes time to paint our home’s interior; the first decision we have to make is whether to hire a professional house painter or just do it ourselves. For some of us it is an easy choice! But if you fall into the “others of us” category….keep reading! There are pros and cons to both- so let’s jump into it!
Interior Painting DIY
- Price Point: Doing the work yourself will cost less money. Usually this is still the case even if you have to buy a ladder or tools!
- Your Time: You can do the work on your schedule, whenever it is convenient for you. No rush. No strangers in your house!
- End Result: You can be as picky as you want to be! The job is not done until you say it is done! 😉
- You Da Boss: You’re in charge of everything: surface prep, masking, paint selection, material costs, you name it! You want to skip a step? No one can stop you!!! Muahaha!
- Price Point: Doing the work yourself will cost more time. Which currency is more important to you? Time or Money?
- Your Time: You will spend more time on this project than a professional will, due to lack of experience and efficient tools.
- End Result: Moooost of the time the end result is not going to be as nice as it would be if a professional were to paint for you.
- You Da Boss: It can be a lot to make sense of: which materials, how much material, and where to even begin! Don’t forget to give yourself a good warranty! …wait! 😉
While the painting itself might be totally up your alley; a lot of other work goes into an interior painting project that often gets overlooked… at first… Things like moving or covering furniture, masking or removing light fixtures, sanding and cleaning trim…. Knowing which materials are going to work best for you is a whole other pile of research you will need to do if you don’t want to waste money on things you don’t need. However, some people really enjoy this process and love the sense accomplishment and capability at the end! And then there are the “others of us” again…. hahah Just keep reading if that is you!
Interior Painting by Professional
- Efficiency: Professionals have a system they follow day to day. They will get a lot of work done in a short amount of time.
- Knowledge: They already know which methods and products will work best for reaching your project goals.
- Experience: Skills improve with consistency! You get good at painting in a straight line when you do it every day!
- Tools: Ladders, Paint Sprayers, Hand Maskers, Extension Poles, Vacuum Sanders, Drop Cloths…. They have what they need to do the job right. This is Especially beneficial if your home has tall walls and ceilings or other challenging obstacles.
- Warranty: Most professionals have a warranty on their work, and if something goes wrong they will take care of it- sometimes for years!
- End Result: Crisp and Clean! (disclaimer: it DOES matter WHO you hire – if you’d like some tips about that click here!)
- Price Point: It will cost you some dollars. You could probably try and fail to paint your own house a couple times before it cost the same amount of money.
- Personal Space: You will have painters and plastic all up in your face and in your doorways. You might not have doorknobs. This doesn’t have to be a con though… Its an excellent time for a vacation!!! Or fun conversations with painters!
- You Da Boss… with limitations: You and the contractor will put together a plan based on what your goals are. You still get to make decisions but there is a point at which you can no longer change your mind “for free”. They have a schedule to stick to; and as much as they will try to accommodate you, they have already made and agreed upon plans with other customers too. If you have big changes or additions, they might have to be scheduled at a separate time.
When you hire a professional to do your painting, there are a lot less things you have to figure out alone! Some professionals will even send out a color consultant to help you choose your paint colors. They have everything they need to come in and do the job efficiently and effectively. They have insurance in case anything Were to happen (idk about you but I (the wife) am much more likely to spill paint on the floor than my husband, the painter 😉 ).
Either choice can be a good one depending on what your goals are and who You are. If you have a particularly challenging job with damaged walls or peeling paint or some other obstacle that makes it so you can’t just roll it out; give us a call at 541-600-2025. We would love to come out and give you an estimate so you can make the decision that is best for you! If you’d like to book an estimate with us online- click here!